Well, I guess I should narrow that down a bit. Don’t mess with music, dancing, and food in Austin. The rest of Texas? That’s for someone else. Here’s what I learned from my recent long weekend in Austin:
- It’s easy to learn the Texas two-step, even if you’re clumsy. It’s lots of fun, and no one makes fun of you.
- If you’re lucky, you learn that two-step in a honky-tonk, taught by a young woman who is at least 50 pounds “overweight,” and who is the most adorable and sexy creature in the world. You learn that that's what confidence and a happy smile can do for a person. No body shame.
- You learn that a fresh corn tortilla is a thing of wonder.
- You learn that Texas barbecue is not overrated, but that it might be lethal if eaten more than once a year.
- You learn that even if you detox with fish tacos, you might want to do some extra dancing afterwards. And hell, it's the only exercise that you get better at when you've had more to drink.
God Bless Texas. I’m an outlaw now.